Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Not your average que

Memorial Day through Labor Day marks the season for BBQ and while most of us will indulge in backyard grilled hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, ribs and the like, my friends and I were inspired to have Korean BBQ (KBBQ). 

Our usual stomping ground in Los Angeles is ChoSun Galbee on Olympic in the heart of Korea town. However since we were behind the Orange Curtain (the O.C.), our friends suggested Morangak in Garden Grove. Until now, I had been touting the virtues of ChoSun Galbee to anyone within spitting distance. I have even have taken friends with whom I had dined on BBQ in Seoul (surprisingly, not called Korean BBQ there), and they agreed that ChoSun Galbee was the best they've had from both sides of the Pacific. Move over Chosun Galbee. Morangak now holds that special place in my heart. 

Our hosts ordered our usual faves: the marinated kalbi (which is a well-marbled beef short rib bathed in deliciousness) as well as the beef bulgogi. Even the chicken, which I seldom order as it is much too lean and tends to overcook, was amazing. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have your server diligently tending to the grilled meats, which were cooked to perfection. 

What is wonderful about KBBQ is that in addition to the platters of meat that are freshly prepared in front of you are the freebies: an army of side dishes called "ban chan" that are supplied to you gratis. You can snack on spicy kimchi, cellophane noodles, salad, chill fried tofu, spicy cucumbers, broccoli, pickled daikon, and miniature pancake omelettes. Chase down your dinner with a bottle of Hite beer served in chilled glasses, and I suspect you too will begin a new BBQ tradition. 

Next up: Kogi BBQ, a phenomenon sweeping Los Angeles, where my friends and I will be chasing dinner supplied by a roving KBBQ taco truck.  Exact location and times can only be confirmed via Twitter.

Punchlines
But I do love music. In fact, at my funeral I hope the following is played (real loud)...
..."The Heat Is On" by Glenn Frey.

1 comment:

  1. Love the joke! I'm also very hungry for some reason ... heheh and I already ate half my breakfast :) Can't wait for UP too!

    ReplyDelete