Saturday, May 30, 2009

Why do I write comedy?

Why is it that I seldom choose to do things that are easy?

I grew up basically a straight-A student, who fairly consistently did the worst in math. Memorizing the particular rules of math were not my forte and while I would travel down a certain path to complete a proof to arrive at an answer, invariably 11% of the time I would be wrong or in the voice of today’s youth…? FAIL.

So, I decided to end my pain early in high school by taking a summer course in Geometry after my freshman year of Algebra I. This allowed me to advance to Algebra II and Trigonometry in my sophomore year and then take Advanced Placement Calculus my junior year. In doing so, I had a jubilant senior year - math free! Clever of me, right?

Actually, it kinda sucked when I then decided to switch focus in college from pre-med to economics and computer science. All of a sudden, once again, I had to stare down solving simultaneous equations on wage-price inflation or supply and demand.   

Fast forward to last year when - in the midst of trying to lose weight - I thoroughly researched the science of calories and food, and whipped up recipes handed down from three Michelin star chefs. Turkey sandwiches were not to be found in my household, no sir! I would make everything from scratch. Crème fraiche, candied orange peels, and Greek yogurt are amongst the more esoteric ingredients I would undertake simply because I enjoyed the challenge.

The extreme form of this passion really took shape in my obsession over baking artisan breads. I would spend the requisite 3 days to bake a particular ciabatta formula because that was what was required. Working with wet doughs such as French bread and ciabatta are not for the faint of heart. These breads are amongst the most challenging breads to master. So naturally, that is what I chose to do.

Now follow this pattern to writing. After dabbling in the genres of drama, fantasy, romance and the like, I have gravitated to what many professional writers consider the most difficult genre: comedy. But by now, I think you've figured out that I do like a challenge, don’t I! Eventually I may even be good at it.


Punchlines
Dear Abby, It feels like spiritually I am dead to my job. What should I do?
Dear Zombie-boy, It's time to leave politics. Have you considered cold calling, something in mass marketing or a helpdesk call-center career?

1 comment: