Sunday, May 24, 2009

Ode to Stella Artois

People ask me why I write lyrics about Stella Artois. It really started a couple months ago when I, along with a few others, accepted a dare to write a screenplay in less than a month.

The dare began on March 18 and was to be completed by March 31. Normally I would have accepted the dare readily, except at that moment in time, I had just completed writing a feature script in a record 12 days that same month (Nubby Elfin Tales). With the promise of a scapegoat already picked out, how was I to lose, really? Besides, the consequences of losing the dare were to write a 700-word romantic prose piece about Stella Artois, and even that was something I wouldn’t mind doing either.

For the dare, I wrote a TV spec script (Chuck vs. The Doppelganger) in a record 5 days. While I was waiting for others to complete their tasks, and to also help spur my fellow speedy dare devils on, I began to write lyrics to Stella Artois. If I’m lucky, maybe it’ll turn into a sponsorship opportunity. But regardless, they're fun to write. Well, without further ado, here is just one example:

Stella Artois by George Sand
May be sung to the tune of “Manic Monday” by The Bangles   

Six o'clock already 
I was just in the middle of a dream 
I was drinkin' Stella Artois 
By a crystal blue Italian stream 
But I can't be dry 
'Cause then I guess I'll be pretty dull   
These are the days 
When you wish your glass was already full   

Chorus 
It's just another Stella Artois 
I wish it was bourgeois 
With a shot of framboise 
Shoot it down and voila 
It's just another Stella Artois   

Have to catch an early drink 
Got to be dead drunk by nine 
And if I had a bong or two 
I still couldn't make it on time 
'Cause it takes me so long 
Just to figure out what I'm gonna drink 
Blame it on the crowds 
‘Cause the drunks are all there, I think      

All of the nights 
Why did the barkeep have to pick last night 
To run out?  
Doesn't it matter 
That I have to pour for both of us?   
The ice is low 
He tells me in his drunken voice 
C'mon honey, let's go make some noise 
Time it goes so fast 
When you're drinkin’ beer

Punchlines
I'm currently toying with a rock classic bid-out on e-bay. But I have to decide between my all-time idols, namely:
1) Rick Wakeman cape
2) Dan Fogelberg plectrum
3) Peter Frampton Baby I Love Your Way lunchbox (with thermos)
Decisions, decisions...

Oooh! What about the Jimi Hendrix pogo stick!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment