Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Bah-studs

So, last weekend along with about 3.5 million other people, I watched Inglourious Basterds. No doubt QT is butchering the English language in yet another way with the alternative spelling of "inglorious", let alone "bastards". I thought I'd add my own plumy version since we're at it.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie, which featured riveting protracted scenes which amped up the tension throughout. Even after the cathartic denouement in Act 3, the movie still stayed with me. It took me a good half hour or so for the adrenaline rush to abate. 

Col. Hans Landa was a delicious character to play, I'm sure, by the uber-talented, multi-lingual Austrian actor, Christoph Waltz. 



For a war movie, Basterds had me in stitches as well. Here's an example of Brad Pitt's pragmatic character, Lt. Aldo Raine: You probably heard we ain't in the prisoner-takin' business; we in the killin' Nazi business. And cousin, Business is a-boomin'.




Even the anachronistic references worked. Here's Lt. Aldo Raine recruiting Sgt. Hugo Stiglitz: I think you show great talent. And I pride myself on having an eye for that kind of talent. Your status as a Nazi killer is... still amateur. We all come here to see if you wanna go pro...



And if that isn't enough to whet your appetite, check out these other memorable quotes, which will become an entrenched part of pop culture in years to come. 


Punchlines
I liked everything about her except for her...
...mind, her presence and her tin foot.

2 comments:

  1. I was at a BAFT event which featured a forum with Christoph Waltz. He was a really funny and self deprecating chap, totally won the audience over. And a great actor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have loved to have been there!

    ReplyDelete