Tuesday, August 25, 2009

thirtysomething


So this week, and in fact today, Season 1 of thirtysomething has been released finally! This may be one of the longest DVD release window for a television series which first aired in 1987. Apparently clearing all the music rights was the hold up all these years. The good news is that I will finally be able to get rid of all of the VHS recordings, well at least a quarter of them anyway.

This is such a big deal that the LA Times covered the story in a variety of articles this week. I'm just happy that a new generation will be introduced to Michael and Hope, Elliot and Nancy, Melissa, Gary, Ellyn, and Miles. 

Now that I'm thirtysomething, I'm sure the show will resonate in ways it could not when I was twentysomething, so this will be a treat to experience again, especially some of my favorite episodes. Until this point, I've had the published teleplays from Season 1 and the soundtrack to tie me over. Not the same. Fortunately, someone who used to work for me lived near Olin and Wettig and I put him through an especially humiliating torture to retrieve autographs from both. If only he had pulled up into their driveway blasting the soundtrack from his car... Oh well, he was a good sport, and so were Ken and Nancy. Thanks!
 
By the way, I nearly fell off my seat when I discovered that Paul Haggis (Crash) wrote a few episodes during that first season (Nice Work If You Can Get It, South by Southeast, Business As Usual).  All the more reason to go out and buy Season 1 and check out his earlier work.

LA Times articles:


Punchlines
I always thought karate was only for self-defense. But it turns out that at the office, it's surprisingly effective for...
...dealing with lazy employees who couldn't be bothered to make fresh coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment