Thursday, August 6, 2009

Fade out

Tragic news emerged once again this week. This time from New York with the reported death of writer/director John Hughes. Gen-X'ers grew up with Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, Some Kind of Wonderful, National Lampoon's Vacation, and many others. I'll look back now and again on Ferris Bueller's Day Off and remark on Ferris and Cameron's adventure which illustrated that with the right amount of self-confidence and bullshit, you can accomplish anything. But because I can offer no better words than those penned by him, I'll leave you with memorable quotes from his movies. Rest in peace, John.

Sixteen Candles

Samantha: Donger's here for five hours, and he's got somebody. I live here my whole life, and I'm like a disease. 

Jim Baker: That's why they call them crushes. If they were easy, they'd call them something else. 

The Geek: You know, I'm getting input here that I'm reading as relatively hostile. 
Samantha: Go to hell. 
The Geek: VERY hostile. 

Breakfast Club

Andrew: We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all. 

Andrew: What do you need a fake I.D. for? 
Brian: So I can vote. 

Richard Vernon: You think about this: when you get old, these kids - when *I* get old - they're going to be running the country. 
Carl: Yeah. 
Richard Vernon: Now this is the thought that wakes me up in the middle of the night. That when I get older, these kids are going to take care of me. 
Carl: I wouldn't count on it. 

Brian Johnson: Dear Mr. Vernon, we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. But we think you're crazy to make an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us... In the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain... 
Andrew Clark: ...and an athlete... 
Allison Reynolds: ...and a basket case... 
Claire Standish: ...a princess... 
John Bender: ...and a criminal... 
Brian Johnson: Does that answer your question?... Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club. 

Pretty in Pink

Iona: Does he have... strong lips? 
Andie: How can you tell? 
Iona: Did you feel it in your knees? 
Andie: I felt it everywhere. 
Iona: Strong lips. 
[laughs
Iona: I know I'm old enough to be his mother, but when the Duck laid that kiss on me last night, I swear my thighs just went up in flames! He must practice on melons or something. 


Iona: Andie, hon. Listen, it's after 7:00. Don't waste good lip gloss. 

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Sloane: What are we going to do? 
Ferris: The question isn't "what are we going to do," the question is "what aren't we going to do?" 
Cameron: Please don't say were not going to take the car home. Please don't say were not going to take the car home. Please don't say were not going to take the car home. 
Ferris: [to the camera] If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? 
[beat
Ferris: Neither would I. 


Ferris: If you're not over here in fifteen minutes, you can find a new best friend. 
Cameron: You've been saying that since the fifth grade. 

Cameron: [Whispering to himself after hanging up from a phone call with Ferris] I'm dying. 
[Phone rings, and Cameron answers
Ferris: (over the phone) You're not dying, you just can't think of anything good to do. 



No comments:

Post a Comment