Thursday, August 13, 2009

Tangled Web


I'm not a fan of spiders. That's an understatement. I'm squeamish about spiders. Can't stand them. So when I found out about this pandemic, I was pretty freaked out. 

Twenty years ago, portions of the movie Arachnophobia was filmed on the Warner Bros. lot. During the filming, truckloads of spiders were brought in because regular Angelino spiders looked a bit boring, I suppose. Well when production concluded, they did not ship the spiders back from whence they came. Quite possibly they tried to, but I suspect they did not manage to recapture all of the spiders. As a result, these little critters dispersed across the Warner Bros. lot and its surrounding environs. 

Let me clarify one point. These spiders are not indigenous to this region. They do not fall prey to the typical cycle of population control by predators in Los Angeles. As a result, these spiders are able to live quite happily and tend to make their presence known in the summer months. 

And so it was that as I was walking from my car to the office this morning, I noticed at the end of the parking structure a beautiful, silk gauzy web which glistened in the morning sunlight. I stepped back and then noticed that, in fact, there were about a dozen webs spun by a dozen spiders... 

...which reminds me. I should probably close my sunroof today.


Punchlines
Have you seen the cash for clunkers new slogan? Show us your Junk!
What a coincidence! I wear the same sign when I go out on first dates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment