Saturday, June 27, 2009

About as subtle as a gun


I've done my fair share of both reading romantic comedy screenplays and watching them as well. While a vast majority are amusing and can elicit a smile, very few of them have laugh out loud moments. When Harry Met SallyFour Weddings and a FuneralMy Best Friend's WeddingBridget Jones's Diary and Love Actually come to mind as the stand-out rom-coms that had both romance and comedy. The Proposal must be added to these ranks. 

I say this, because in large part, Margaret (played by Sandra Bullock) as a character is so over-the-top that by comparison Andrew (played by Ryan Reynolds) is a character the audience instantly empathizes with. While they were both very enjoyable to watch, Ryan Reynolds and his subtle face expressions reacting to situations or to Margaret's demands were priceless. Many of these are evident in the trailer, but you gotta see it in context. Go see it this week!

Punchlines
Hey Varmint! What's say you and I wrastle fer munny!
Not you again. Listen - I have no desire to be felt up again, you perv. All I want is to come into town and pick up my bolts of gingham from the Ingals Store and be on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment