Friday, June 19, 2009

God bless the chickpea

I don't know about you, but I go through these streaks of inexplicable obsessions over particular foods. I blame the media. Sometimes these inspirations will take place as I am watching a show and a particular character is eating a particular food and I think to myself, I want that. I need that. Why am I not eating that? Such was the case when I saw the Friends episode from Season 7 The One with All The Cheesecakes

Chandler: But I already opened the box, and you can't return the box after you've opened the box.
Rachel: Why not?
Chandler: (whining) Because it's too delicious!

Ahh, the power of suggestion.

I merely use this an example to illustrate my latest obsession, which is over the chickpea. Now I don't know who invented hummus, and in fact, nobody knows, but whoever did so was a genius! What is hummus?

Hummus (a transliteration of the Arabicحمّص‎; also spelled hamoshoumoushommoshommushummoshummous orhumus; see romanization of Arabic) is a Levantine Arab dip or spread made from cooked, mashed chickpeas, blended withtahiniolive oillemon juicesalt and garlic. It is a popular food in various local forms throughout the Middle Eastern world and elsewhere.

Those who research culinary history have carried on folklore suggesting that hummus is one of the oldest known prepared foods. It has a long history in the Middle East, which stretches back to antiquity, but its historical origins are unknown.

You knew it was just a matter of time before I posted a recipe. Well, without further ado...

Hummus

Source: Gourmet, October 1988

 

Ingredients

4 garlic cloves 
1 teaspoon salt 
two 1-pound 3-ounce cans chick-peas, drained and rinsed 
2/3 cup well stirred tahini 
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, or to taste 
1/2 cup olive oil, or to taste 
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves 
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted lightly  

Preparation

On a cutting board mince and mash the garlic to a paste with the salt. In a food processor purée the chick-peas with the garlic paste, the tahini, the lemon juice, 1/4 cup of the oil, and 1/2 cup water, scraping down the sides, until the hummus is smooth and add salt to taste. Add water, if necessary, to thin the hummus to the desired consistency and transfer the hummus to a bowl. In the food processor, cleaned, purée the remaining 1/4 cup oil with the parsley until the oil is bright green and the parsley is minced transfer the parsley oil to a small jar. The hummus and the parsley oil may be made 3 days in advance and kept covered and chilled. Divide the hummus between shallow serving dishes and smooth the tops. Drizzle the hummus with the parsley oil and sprinkle it with the pine nuts. Serve the hummus with the pita.


Well, I predict a resurgence of hummus after its forthcoming appearance in the movie, Bruno. In it, hummus is featured when Bruno purposely confuses Hummus and Hamas in an interview with Israeli and Palestinian scholars, creating much confusion.


Punchlines 
I think the Lakers is a funny name for a basketball team. Why don't they just call them the Rivers or... 
...the Ponders would be good. So how do you lake something? You fill it with water and put rednecks all around it?

2 comments:

  1. Delish indeed. Do you know that there are peeps who detest this stuff? My boss, for instance. Can't understand the appeal at all.

    Philistine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, confess to having no taste for Hummus, although I laughed out loud at the Hummus/Hamas reference from the Bruno movie.

    ReplyDelete