Thursday, June 11, 2009

I've lost my voice!

In reality, I'm not quite sure I have a voice when it comes to writing. What does it mean to have a voice? Why is it important as a screenwriter? Two seasoned writers chimed in with their thoughts to my query. Their interpretation resonated with me and I thought it would be helpful for you as well.

Bob commented that what moves a good story from being a good story to one that sticks in people's minds? A unique voice. He went on to write, "It's the colors your language paints. If it's a comedy, it's the humor you inject into your writing. Mundane narrative isn't going to cut it. Great specs and great scripts from established writers all do the same thing, they create a mood, they let you get inside your charcters heads, they let you see the movie in your head. Don't be afraid to use unconventional language, know what's meant by show don't tell, don't fear an occasional unfilmable to show an actor a window to their soul."

Steve chimed in as well, "I think a unique voice is difficult to craft (much harder than plot or dialogue, for example). I'm starting to think that voice is mysterious and indescribable, until you start to use it, and then bit by bit things fall into place. 

Here are some assorted ramblings: 

Voice conveys the attitude the writer has toward the world of the script. Are you sarcastic about your characters? Do you admire the bravery of your protagonist? Do you think love is the only thing worth living for, etc. 

Voice is the kind of names you give your characters, whether you identify them by their first or last name. It's how much humor you use, and when. 

If you write 2 different scripts with different worlds (e.g., drama vs. comedy), you may have very different attitudes, but 
voice isn't just about the attitude toward / description of the world, it's also about the control you have over your voice, the confidence you have in your ability to deliver the world to your audience, and even your attitude toward the audience. 

Voice doesn't necessarily mean loudness, and it certainly doesn't mean copying people who are famous for their voice."

Aptly put, gentlemen. Now, please excuse me as I continue to log in my requisite 10,000 hours before I master this craft.

Punchlines
I hereby do solemnly swear that the evidence I shall give will be...
A. Written only with acronyms
B. Require microscopes to examine
C. Smell worse than a raccoon fart
D. Be completely convoluted, contradictory and confusing
E. All of the above




No comments:

Post a Comment