Wednesday, June 3, 2009

That thing he does

My introduction to jazz came shortly after I saw That Thing You Do. I swear! Prior to that, I found it somewhat inaccessible and no one my age really appreciated jazz. It was a musical genre appreciated by people older than me, and there was always something about it that seemed, well, inaccessible. When I saw Guy Patterson's enthusiasm and knowledge about jazz, I became curious. The piece of music that inspired this quest was the scene that took place at the end of Act 2b when Guy laid down tracks called Spartacus with Dell Paxton

The piano and drum duet from that movie led me to discover Bill Evans. I grew up playing the piano so it was a natural fit to follow a pianist and appreciate his skill and artistry.

Here is just a sampling of my favorite Bill Evans tracks, mostly from the Verve label.







Punchlines 
I had a great time last night. Thanks for thinking of me, although next time would you mind if instead we could...
...I get it. Less body fluid. Check.

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo Georgie! I so so love Bill Evans! Thanks so much for this! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete