Friday, July 24, 2009

Spam musubi

Okay, okay. Wanna hear something gross? Kids especially may want to pay attention here. I think I may have eaten an entire can of SPAM today. Yeah, gross, huh?

It all started with a rather harmless potluck baby shower. A friend from Hawaii decides to bring a fairly popular snack in Hawaii. Almost every other dish in Hawaii is made of SPAM and SPAM musubi is one of those. These are about ubiquitous as hotdogs on Coney Island and likely to have the same salt content as well. 

But something almost visceral is triggered when the palette tastes salt and fat. It may even be primal. I'm blaming that primal urge because I don't have any other way to explain eating half a dozen of these bad boys in one day. 

Punchlines
So how's the fam?
Everyone at home seems fine. Kids seem happy. Occupied. There's a dog. Two cats. I can't quite see anything else through the binoculars right now but perhaps later when it gets darker. I'm getting cold out here though.


No comments:

Post a Comment