Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Try the goat

In London, excellent curry places abound owing to the fact that England is the fifth largest Indian diaspora, following Indian communities in Nepal, US, Malaysia and Burma. 

While Los Angeles is an ethnic melting pot with just about 1 in 3 persons being foreign-born (40.3% in 2005), the Indian community is surprisingly not very well represented, and thus the food served in restaurants cater more to Westernized palettes. 

While many may point east to Artesia for restaurant recommendations, the Westwood corridor offers a variety of solid options:  Ambala Dhaba (if adventurous, try the goat), Bombay Cafe, The Clay Pit, New India Grill and Bombay Bite. Gate of India in Santa Monica and Balti House on Sunset are apparently very similar to Indian food found in the UK and coincidentally are located near English pubs that cater largely to British clientele.

For a broader listing of Indian restaurants across Los Angeles, Gayot has a listing worth checking out as well as Chowhound. It was in the Chowhound listing that I felt comfortable suggesting Curry House on Lankershim in NoHo or Great India Cafe in Studio City to my friend Shannon who has been eager to have some curry following my recent posting about Balti curry on Brick Lane. Such is the power of suggestion. If that doesn't pan out, I did manage to buy a small jar of Balti curry at Fortnum and Mason while in London, which I may prepare this weekend with goat. I kid. 

Punchlines
OY, vey. I got all verklempt when that schmuck of a doctor told me I had...
...no Jewish ancestry whatsoever. OY vey what a schmuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment